Common causes of residential fires in Killeen and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are numerous threats to consider. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur in any place and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States due to residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported fires. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to avoid them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Killeen.
What causes residential fires in Killeen?
Fires can begin anywhere and without notice, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a garbage can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most frequent sorts of residential fires in Killeen and elsewhere. Unattended stovetops are the main origin, so always pay attention to that scorching skillet when cooking. It’s also worth nothing that drenching a grease fire with water will only make matters worse.
- Heating: Area heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Operating them for too long may cause internal components to degrade and catch fire. Putting heaters next to combustible objects like blankets and curtains or using frayed cords can also lead to disaster. Other heating elements, such as furnaces and fireplaces, might cause fires and should be inspected periodically.
- Electrical: Old wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overburdened extension cords are several of the ways electrical complications lead to fires. If you discern sparking, flickering lights, or strange odors, get it checked out promptly.
- Candles: If there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires from candles are still frequently reported and often result from people being careless. Burning candles next to combustible objects like drapery or keeping them within the reach of a rambunctious pet will often produce disastrous results.
- Smoking: Despite the overall reduction in smoking across the country, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or throwing out smoldering ashes too soon can give rise to devastating results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Killeen is to steer clear of negligent behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, never leave a candle burning unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you have to run a space heater, do so sparingly and get one that has an automatic shut-off feature in case it overturns.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Killeen
You ought to have smoke detectors on all floors and more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also be tripped due to rising heat. Additionally, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring representatives whenever a crisis takes place. This is a worthwhile benefit, particularly when you’re not home to hear the alarm and phone the fire department.
Safeguard your home against common threats with a Vivint smart home in Killeen
Enhance the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant updates to your smartphone and the reassurance that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Place a call to (254) 351-0495 to get started.